By introducing a digital identity for employees and students at the University of Maribor, the only way to apply
to the EDUROAM network is:
- UM digital identity
- EDUROAM client software
Digital identity for employees:
Digital identity for students:
username: name.surname @student.um.si
Digital identity for outsources:
username: name.surname @guest.um.si
1. What is Eduroam?
Eduroam (education roaming) is global WiFi roaming consortium which gives members of education and research access to the Internet for free. Employees and students of the University of Maribor may register for free also at other educational institutions in Slovenia and other eduroam hotspots around the globe with their digital identity obtained at UM.
The installation package for easy configuration on popular operating systems (Windows, Linux, Mac, etc.) can be found at Eduroam CAT.
By clicking on the above link you are directed to a website where "University of Maribor" is selected and installer for your system is offered. If you want installer for another system select "All platforms" (sl. Vse platforme).
WiFi on mobile devices
You can connect to the eduroam network on your mobile device by following these instructions:
- Connecting to eduroam on Android OS
- Connecting to eduroam on Windows Phone 8.1
- Connecting to eduroam on Windows 10 Mobile
General recommendation: in order to ensure that all features on your mobile device work correctly, we recommend that you upgrade your mobile OS (Android, Windows Mobile or iOS) to the latest version.
Additional troubleshooting steps:
- Check whether your device is in “airplane mode". If “airplane mode" is on, turn it off.
- Check whether any software on your device may interfere with the default Wi-Fi client (e.g. any alternative Wi-Fi client, VPN clients, etc.). If found, disable or remove the software.
- Check whether the user login data for the selected network is correct. Instructions for this step can be found under the tab “"Wi-Fi on mobile devices" here.
- Reset your device.
- On your device select the option “Forget (selected) network" (e.g. Eduroam) and repeat the login process (step 3).
- If connection to the network was already established, check obtained network data (IP address, default gateway, etc.).
How to check internet connection?
- Check connectivity (by browsing the internet, checking server/website responsiveness (PING), etc.).
- You may also check the established connection by checking connection speed by means of web tools (e.g. http://speedtest.net).
Troubleshooting will also be easier, if you pay attention to notifications on errors in establishing network connection (e.g. “Authentication failure") and atypical symbols (e.g. exclamation mark on the network status icon) shown on your device.